Monday, July 03, 2006

Nighttime Handgun Training

I came down to Frontsight, NV early so that I could take a 2 day night defensive handgun class. Now before you go haring off about how horrible guns are let me explain something. I just moved to a new office building. In the four weeks we’ve been there, we’ve been at lockdown three times. They say the key to great real estate is location and this building was not that expensive. It seems few other people want to work in between the Social Security Building, the Worker’s Compensation Fund, and the state department of corrections parole board. Needless to say, the last day of the month when I’m here until 10 pm by myself, I like to have “a friend” along. It’s only appropriate if I’m going to be carrying my .9mm friend that I have some decent training. The best place for a woman to train is Frontsight. The instructors are wonderful. There is military precision but not a boot camp feeling and no one talks down to even the least familiar person. I’ll admit that I was not in top form this trip. I’ve been complacent and haven’t even handled my firearm in over 3 years. Needless to say, I was having trouble with lots of things. Ed Winchester (great name for a firearms instructor, isn’t it?) took me off to a separate range and worked with me individually. He noticed one problem I had which was causing the three different problems I had noticed and was trying to work on.
Needless to say, I was having trouble with just handling my Glock let alone adding the flashlight so that I could shoot in the dark. I was also terrified of the going back into the “house” which is a situational simulator shoot. The first time I went to “the house” I forgot all the training and froze. This time was a lot better, although I was so nervous that I didn’t hit the guy with the Uzi. I did nail the guy with the hostage situation though which was my big problem the last time I did the simulation.
Again, the offer is still open for anyone who wants to learn handgun training at the best facility in the world, I’ll pay for your class, and you just sign up and tell me when to be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home