Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Playing in the Netflix queue...

My kids told me the other day that they have never seen E.T. This shocked me almost as much as the day my daughter said in a group of her father’s friends, “Who’s Captain Kirk?” (We were soundly scolded for neglecting our children’s education over that). We haven’t worried about running into that issue with the boys since Netflix has the entire 3 year span of the original series but it did get me thinking about movies I loved as a kid that my children have never seen.
My daughter is deep into anime but she’s never seen Battle of the Planets which was our introduction to anime in the 1980’s. (It’s in the queue and I’ll subject her to it someday). She came home from her Art and Culture class talking about this great German film they watched and proceeded to tell me the plot of Dreamscape (another movie to Netflix). There are some films that I remember that I could care less about my kids seeing. That nasty one they showed every year in school about the handicapped boy with the pigeon and the one the school thought would enlighten us about poverty and war but the only scene I remember is the bloated body of the flood victim floating away. What sick ninny thought those were good movies for elementary kids?
I want my kids to know Tron, the movie, not just the Kingdom Hearts 2 character. But it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if they skipped NeverEnding Story or the horrid sequels that engendered. Or the movie I saw on my first date about the motorcycle racer who ends up a time traveler.
On the other hand, I’m glad my kids understand that ultimate evil comes out of a microwave, there are times to use the Force, it’s okay to be afraid of snakes, playing in mashed potatoes can be an obsession or the start of a food fight (2 movies there), don’t annoy the clerk when the parrot is dead, and Wolfman Jack is real. (Hmmm, seems to be a theme there).

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn L in Chicago said...

Omigod, my list of movies from my childhood that I must expose my kids to is sooooooooo long. I'd probably crash comments if I tried to list them!

And I count it a major coup that my 9 year old ADHD/developmentally delayed daughter knows the French Taunt.... well, okay, she misses some bits and mis-speaks in a couple places, but she still knows the Taunt!

September 19, 2006 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home