Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The more they stay the same...

Why is it that even though everyone is prepared, no one raises their hand in class? Even if they know the answer people are afraid to raise their hands. The sad part is that grading is based on participation so if you don’t participate, you don’t get graded. Still I wonder if I’m talking too much. I saw so much of this in junior high school, in high school, college, and now in graduate school. Is it the fear of looking foolish? Being afraid of being wrong? Worried what people will think?
Long ago, I figured out that I would learn more if I talked with the teacher. I probably didn’t have time after class so the best time to talk is during class, either by asking questions or answering questions in the best manner possible. When learning through cases, participating in class matters but people still worry about looking foolish as much as they did in Junior High.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home