Thursday, July 20, 2006

Connecting with a medium...

I was playing with paint tonight. Acrylic vs. Oils. Both tubes were Cobalt blue and I had a large white canvas to play with. The acrylic was brighter with a plastic smell and I ended up with frenetic brush strokes. I was energized, I felt bouncy, and it reminded me of high school. Then I tried the oils. They were smoother, heavier, calming. I’m left handed but I kept finding the brush in my right hand and all I could figure was that something in my head was trying to slow me down. The color was deep and rich and dark. Not the bright monitor blue from the computer like the acrylic, it was blue but it was wind and waves and long smooth strokes from a rhythm guitar with a low bass in the background. Acrylic is a piccolo like in Peter and the Wolf. Oil is relaxing and rejuvenating and peaceful. But, I know it’s going to take expensive brushes since this one kept dropping bristles in my strokes. Oil is forgiving; Acrylic is dry before you change your mind. Oil is still there ready to be moved to where you want it; ready for you to manipulate it, even a few hours later, it can still be moved to where I want it. And the smell of oil? Something earthy and natural and familiar. I wonder if I can lighten the cobalt with some Titanium White? It’s not just the right color, but it’s closer than the acrylic.

2 Comments:

Blogger Onilyn said...

It sounds like the color of blue you are looking for is more of a royal blue. Cobalt (at least the ones I've seen) is deep, dark, and soothing. Listen to your intstincts -- mind and body and soul -- they're usually right.

July 22, 2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger Shondratasha said...

The strange thing is that both tubes are Cobalt. The acrylic looks closer to Electric Blue and the Oil is almost a Midnight.

July 23, 2006 3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home