Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Riding the Carousel in Carson County, CO

Maybe it stems from a childhood fascination with horses. Maybe it comes from the motion sickness on the rollercoaster. Maybe it relates to vague memories of happy afternoons with my grandparents in Liberty Park. But, I’m a lover of carousels. I adore the white horses in Fantasyland. I cried to find the aluminum Liberty Park horses replaced with spray painted fiberglass. I drool over the wonderful animals on the Lagoon midway (still wood!)
In college, I learned about the Philadelphia Toboggan Company when a roommate gave me a calendar of their artwork. I mourned that such wonderful treasures disappeared in the name of progress.
When I discovered the Internet, I searched out things I loved and I found the Kit Carson Carousel. I vowed that I would ride it someday before I died. Since I could step in front of a bus tomorrow, someday is during this year of Celebration

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home