Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Today I turn 40

If I die at the age my grandmothers did, then today, I am at the cusp of middle age. Somewhere in the next 20 years, I’m supposed to discover wisdom, and all the other virtues associated with revered elders. Do people today even pick the brains of the generation before them? I feel horrid for not learning more about my neighbor who was a WAC in WWII before she developed Alzheimer’s. She’s part of my inspiration. History is made by audacious women even if it’s only great family stories to pass on and inspire the next generation to be swifter, reach higher, be stronger, to paraphrase the 2002 Olympic motto. I’m here to disprove the words of the philosopher, Meatloaf, “a wasted youth is better by far, than a wise and productive old age.” Since I didn’t waste my youth, or at least I didn’t think I did, I’m here to have a wise and productive old age. I’ve done a lot of things on my list of stuff to do before I die but many of the items are still languishing undone. So this is my year to kick it into gear, to focus on being who I want to be and practice for the day that “I wear purple with a red hat.” This whole idea began to coalesce following a comment at the Sandy Stitchers quilt guild meeting when someone asked how old I was since they thought I was the youngest guild member (I’m not, my son is). I announced that I would be 40 in February. One woman overhearing me commented, “It’s not something to brag about.”
And why isn’t being 40 something to brag about? Why do we have to celebrate the culture of youth? Kate Hudson claims the meaty roles for an actress only come after 30 but according to Christine Lahti at the Sundance Film Festival "I became a director by default. When I turned, what, 35, the scripts got fewer and fewer. I'm at my creative peak. Am I going to sit around and become bitter? That was not an option for me. There's clearly a double standard in the industry. It's deplorable.” She was there premiering her film “My First Mister.” We revere men as they age and give them better roles, but women are quickly crowded out unless they find their own way (Way to go, Emma Thompson!).
I intend to celebrate my age this year. I’m going to do things that I’ve always wanted to do but kept putting off for someday. Now it’s someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home